Quality management is a complex process, especially in healthcare. Managers in today's environment need more than just an understanding of the historical concepts of quality. They need to understand how to achieve quality within the structure and relationships of the complex system of a healthcare organization.
In Applying Quality Management in Healthcare: A Systems Approach, Third Edition, Diane Kelly, professor at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, has enhanced the content to promote an understanding of systems thinking in health services organizations. While still providing readers with the foundational concepts of quality management, she instructs readers on the system implications of understanding stakeholders and the role of policy, establishing goals in complex systems, improving and managing process change, performance measurement, and teamwork. Readers learn how to think critically using new frameworks, approaches, and tools and are given real-life examples and case studies to practice these skills.
This edition features new and enhanced material, including:
- Alternative assumptions to traditional quality management tools and techniques
- An expanded Practice Lab with which readers can exercise newly learned quality techniques
- A guide to using the CMS and Joint Commission quality indicators to improve systems of care
- A glossary of terms
- Additional case studies and exercises designed to individualize applications in the reader's own practice setting
About the Author
Diane L. Kelly, DrPH, MBA, RN, teaches at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Gillings School of Global Public Health, Public Health Leadership Program, and Duke University School of Nursing. Dr. Kelly is a former member of the editorial advisory board for The Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety and the national Baldrige Performance Excellence Program Board of Examiners.
Table of Contents
- Foreword by Arnold Kaluzny
- Foreword by Penny K. Jensen
- Section I: Quality Management: A Systems Approach
- Chapter 1: Fundamentals of Quality Management
- Chapter 2: A Systems Perspective of Quality Management: Characteristics of Complex
- Chapter 3: Understanding System Behavior: Systemic Structure
- Chapter 4: Visualizing System Relationships: Models for Health Services Managers
- Glossary of Terms
- About the Authors