First in the Disease Management Dimensions Series-Save 50% when you order the Disease Management Dimensions Series.
With obesity rates in the United States continuing to climb and
causing additional chronic health conditions such as diabetes, coronary
artery disease, and stroke, health plans and employers are looking to
specialty programs to combat obesity. Whether they’re referred to as
Disease Management, Weight Management or Wellness programs, their
ultimate objective is the same: to trim the fat from healthcare expenses.
In this special report, "Disease Management & Obesity: Healthcare Impacts and Initiatives," sponsored by the Healthcare Intelligence
Network (HIN), expert speakers weigh in on the key features of obesity
management programs, strategies for increasing member participation,
and the programs’ impact on the healthcare bottom line.
You’ll hear from two leading industry experts, Robin F. Foust, Population/Individual Health and Productivity Management Specialist, Zoe Consulting; and
Dr. Eric Berman, Medical Director & Chairman of Health Policy, Horizon BCBS of NJ, on the impact that obesity is having on healthcare organizations.
This 34-page report is based on the April 28, 2004 audio conference on Disease Management & Obesity during which Foust and Berman described programs they have launched to address obesity. You’ll get:
- obesity risks and impacts;
- the components for a successful obesity weight management program;
- criteria for approving gastric bypass surgery;
- the building blocks of the weight management program at Horizon BCBS-NJ;
- the impacts of the weight management programs at Horizon BCBS-NJ and Medicorp; and
- how disease management programs should comply with HIPAA security guidelines.
Table of Contents
- Obesity and Weight Management: An Employer's Perspective
- Avoiding Gastric Bypass Surgery
- MediCorp Criteria for Approving Gastric Bypass Surgery
- MediCorp Program Background
- Measuring BMI in Adults
- Formulating Surgery Approval Policy
- Successfully Avoiding Surgery
- Lessons Learned
- Obesity Initiative: Horizon BCBS-NJ
- Obesity Risks and Impacts
- Horizon Walks the Walk
- Program Implementation
- Building Blocks of Weight Management Program
- Employee Participation Analysis
- Not a Sprint, but a Marathon
- Formula for Success
- Dieticians a Call Away for HMO Members
- Obesity Initiative: Health Awareness Begins at Home Office
- Disease Management and Health Literacy
- The High Cost of Low Health Literacy
- Q&A: Ask the Experts
- Digesting the Effects of the Current Carb Craze
- Considering HIPAA Privacy When Setting Guidelines
- De-Identifying Protected Health Information
Under the Privacy Rule
- Surgery: Who’s Paying and Who’s Succeeding
- Bariatric Surgery: Last Resort
- Weight Management: Covered or Supplemental?
- The PCP’s Role in Weight Management
- Tracking Program Utilization and Results
"Disease Management & Obesity: Healthcare Impacts and Initiatives" is part of HIN's Disease Management Dimensions series. The Disease Management Dimensions provides an inside look at disease management programs to help you get the most of your disease management initiatives.