Group Leadership Skills
provides a solid foundation for using group concepts, theory, and research with a wide variety of groups and group settings. With this book, nurses and health professionals will learn the essential group process skills, including differentiating content from process, working with tension and anxiety, and enhancing cohesiveness. Clark presents practical strategies to improve the effectiveness of group leaders, such as helping groups solve problems and build teams.
This edition is now newly expanded to apply to a diverse collection of groups. The strategies and techniques can be used with students, families, staff, codependency groups, depression groups, rape and sexual abuse groups, domestic violence groups, and many more.
- Contains practical strategies for group leaders including conflict resolution, suggested ice-breakers, and discussion questions
- Includes new "Exercise Simulations" for many chapters, including chapters on working with older adults, focus groups, organizations, and communities
- Includes new feature, "Clinical Leader Challenges," which asks learners to apply theory and concepts to group situations
Table of Contents
Part I: Learning Group Basics
1. Introducing you to group work
2. Using basic group concepts and process
3. Working to achieve group goals
Part II: Beginning and Guiding Groups
4. Beginning, guiding, and terminating a group
5. Dealing with special group problems
Part III: Developing Group Leadership Skills
6. Obtaining supervision and working with a co-leader
7. Using behavioral approaches
8. Recording and analyzing group process
Part IV: Working with Different Types of Groups
9. Working with the older adult
10. Working with the focal group
11. Working with organizations
12. Working with communities
"This book provides a comprehensive and insightful overview of group leadership skills, applicable to both therapeutic and work-related groups, alike," said Elizabeth McCay, RN, PD Ryerson University.
"[A] masterful guide that teaches us to gain the most from each group setting. Whether we are in our private practice or involved in a committee, this work gives us an excellent format to follow,"
said William S. Bezmen, PhD, RN, CS Director, Pathways to Health, Holistic Treatment and Education Center.
"This is an excellent guide for key principles of leadership in managing group dynamics. Each chapter is well designed and supported with prominent research in the area which supports the theory development with current and historical evidence."
Score: 97, 5 stars Doody's