Buy Both and Save 15%
When launching cost-saving or quality improvement efforts,
healthcare payors and providers often fail to consider one major factor:
the resistance they are almost certain to encounter from their medical
staffs. Intent upon patient responsibilities, many physicians are neither
cost-focused nor open to administrative changes.
In this special report, "Bringing Doctors On Board: Cultivating Physician Leaders and Reducing Pushback," a panel of experts describes a variety of tools including skills assessment, communications, incentives
and marketing that can turn physician "push-back" into support,
ensuring the success of new programs while developing physician
leadership at their organizations.
You'll hear from Mary Anne Graf, Vice President, Women's & Children's Services, Bon
Secours Health System; Dr. Manuel Lowenhaupt, National Practice Leader, CapGemini; and
Dr. Mark Wenneker, Consulting Manager, The Bard Group on theories, application and results of physician engagement programs.
This 36-page report is based on the January 26, 2005 audio conference "Physician Engagement: Tools and Strategies to Get Reluctant Physicians on Board" during which Graf, Lowenhaupt and Wenneker described how to engage physicians, including strategies and case studies.
You'll get details on:
- Tools and strategies to motivate physicians;
- Keys to physician engagement; and
- Creating physician alignment through marketing.
Table of Contents
- Tools and Strategies to Motivate Reluctant Physicians
- Seven Key Physician Engagement Tactics
- Put Yourself in Your Physicians’ Shoes
- Sample Physician Survey on Order Entry Use
- Sample Hospital/Medical Staff Relationship Scorecard
- Methods to Gain Physician Buy-In
- Recommended Methods for Incenting Doctors
- The Ladder of Learning
- Getting the Message Out
- Five Keys to Physician Engagement
- Case Study Overview
- Blueprint for Success
- Identifying Potential Physician Leaders
- Coaching Strategies for Developing Leaders
- Using Physician Input Effectively
- Organizational Benefits of Engaging Physicians
- Strengthening Physician Alignment through Marketing
- Barriers to Physician Alignment
- Overcoming Roadblocks to Physician Engagement
- Critical Components of a Succcessful Marketing Strategy
- Physician Alignment Examples in Marketing
and Public Relations
- A New Attitude Toward Screening
- Measures of Marketing Success
- Q&A: Ask the Experts
- Physician Engagement in an Ambulatory Setting
- Overcoming Competing Agendas in a Private Practice Model
- Softening the Blow Around Financial Reality
- Engaging Physicians in IT and Pay for Performance
- When Physicians are Competing with Hospitals
- Best Practices for Communications Programs
Given the time-intensiveness of medicine, it’s no surprise that overworked physicians focus more on patient care than organizational goals. But without the attention and support of the physicians—whether they are employees or part of your organization’s network—many organizational initiatives are likely to fail. Most healthcare organizations report that one of the biggest challenges their organization faces when adopting new programs is the resistance of doctors to these changes.
Reaching Reluctant Physicians: Forging Organizational Trust and Collaboration provides physician engagement strategies ranging from democratic and open forums to workshops, new technology, pay for performance (PFP) and incentive programs. This 31-page special report explores means to accomplish change and offers insider tips for achieving the ultimate goal: physician buy-in for program success.
In this report, two physician facilitators provide an inside look at the physician culture and suggest ways to create trust and alignment between management and physicians.
These strategies are provided by Dr. Joseph Bujak, vice president of medical affairs at Kootenai Medical Center, and Dr. Scott J. Cullen, consultant for Accenture Health and Life Sciences.
Table of Contents
- Deconstructing Physician Culture and Decision-Making
- Reaching Reluctant Physicians
Physician Resistance Often Runs Deep
The Problem of Polarity
Learning from Experience
Putting the Pieces Together
The Pathway to Success
Creating Trust and Alignment Between Management and Physicians
Identifying Physician Leaders
The Accenture Approach
Scorecards, Synergy and Solutions
The FastTrack Model
Keeping Physicians Focused
The Core of Physician Engagement
The Ladder of Learning
Q&A: Ask the Experts
Identifying Physician Leaders
Differentiating Residents’ Perspectives from Physicians’ Views
Disease Management Buy-in
Outreach for Outliers
Changing Along with the Times
For More Information
About the Authors
Here's what our customers have said about this resource:
"The Physician Engagement manuals gave greater insight into what drives physician behavior,"said Theresa Stewart, manager of indirect sales representatives at Phillips Medical."Very insightful."