By: Angela Barron McBride, PhD, RN, FAAN
Angela Barron McBride has a long and renowned history in nursing leadership and education. The Growth and Development of Nurse Leaders, which focuses on developing nurse leaders, draws on her extensive leadership experience as an internationally recognized nurse scholar and pragmatist to help all nurses develop their leadership abilities.
The Growth and Development of Nurse Leaders' three sections address the major views of leadership that have occupied center stage in recent decades: leadership as personal; leadership as achieving organizational goals; and leadership as transformational. It references both literature and personal experiences that bring timely issues to focus, from career stages and mentoring needs, to developmental tasks by career trajectory, and more. Angela Barron McBride brings a practicality and insightfulness to the subject that will empower you when considering your leadership development, no matter your specialty or career stage. McBride has exterted leadership from many positions, which the American Academy of Nursing has celebrated by awarding her the status of "Living Legend."
Table of Contents
LEADERSHIP AS PERSONAL
- Chapter One: "The Right Stuff"
- Chapter Two: Knowing What You Know and Don't Know
- Chapter Three: Sustaining Optimism and Managing Anger
- Chapter Four: Orchestrating a Career
LEADERSHIP AS ACHIEVING ORGANIZATIONAL GOALS
- Chapter Five: Naming What We Do
- Chapter Six: Telling Others What to Do/What You Do
- Chapter Seven: It's All About Communication
- Chapter Eight: Resource Development
- Chapter Nine: Appreciating Others
LEADERSHIP AS TRANSFORMATIONAL
- Chapter Ten: Looking Back to Move Forward
- Chapter Eleven: The Vision Thing
- Chapter Twelve: Choosing Excellence
- Chapter Thirteen: Beyond the Discipline-Specific
- Epilogue: Toward the Future