Healthcare organizations are learning that an investment in patient
and member education is money well spent. A patient who understands their
healthcare options, the red flags of a chronic condition and the impact of their behaviors on
health status is less likely to wind up in the hospital or the emergency room (ER) for costly treatment
of an avoidable condition.
How prevalent are patient and member education programs, and which health areas are
addressed by these efforts? How are healthcare organizations delivering health education, and
who is the primary health educator? What is the chief impact and ROI from patient education efforts?
2010 Healthcare Benchmarks: Patient Education & Outreach provides actionable information from 134 healthcare organizations on their efforts to educate patients and put them on the road to self-management. This 24-page resource documents trends and metrics on patient education programs that are taking shape in the primary care office, the ER, at hospital discharge and in the patient's home.
This exclusive report analyzes the responses of 134 healthcare organizations to HIN's August 2009 Industry Survey on Patient Education and Outreach, presenting the data in easy-to-follow graphs and tables.
This industry snapshot is enhanced with commentary from Barbara Wall, president and CEO of Hagen Wall Consulting, who provides 15 pre-process and process changes that healthcare organizations can implement to enhance patient outreach.
This report provides expanded data on:
Current and planned patient education programs;
- Key conditions, content areas and populations targeted by patient education programs;
- Technologies and delivery methods employed in the outreach effort, with detail on availability and features of patient education portals;
- The primary patient educator and point of care where patient outreach is conducted;
- Challenges, benefits and barriers related to patient outreach programs;
- The use of incentives for providers and patients in a patient education program;
- Funding, reimbursement and ROI;
- The complete August 2009 Patient Education and Outreach survey tool;
Patient education and outreach is at the core of many initiatives, from the patient-centered medical home to efforts to reduce hospital readmissions. Organizations who wish to build or expand upon a patient education program will benefit from the experiences and feedback from healthcare payors, purchasers, providers and others presented in this resource.
Table of Contents
- Survey Highlights
Organizations Offering Patient Education & Outreach
- No Program: Planning Patient Education Program in
Next 12 Months
Topics Addressed by Patient Education Program
- Educating Patients About H1N1/Swine Flu
- Point in Care When Patient Education is Conducted
- Web-Based Patient Education Portal
- Tools Available From Web-Based Patient Education Portal
- Non-Web Patient Education Delivery Modes
- Primary Patient Educator
- Increased Staff for Patient Education Program
- Information Sources for Patient Education Program
- Impact of Patient Education Program
- Top Three Revenue-Generating Patient Education Tools
- Patient Education ROI Measurement Tools
- Provider Incentives for Delivering Patient Education
- Participant Incentives for Patient Education
- Percentage of Budget Allocated for Patient Education
- Respondent Demographics
Prescription for Success: 15 Steps to Improve Patient Education and Outreach
- Benchmark Survey Tool: Patient Education & Outreach
|2010 Healthcare Benchmarks: Emergency Room Throughput
|2010 Healthcare Benchmarks: Care Transition Management
|2010 Healthcare Benchmarks: Telehealth and Telemedicine