Second in the Disease Management Dimensions Series-Save 50% when you order the Disease Management Dimensions Series.
With more than 9 million overweight American children and
adolescents---triple the number identified in 1980---healthcare providers
must react now to counteract the related health and social consequences
that often continue into adulthood.
In this special report, "Childhood Obesity: Truths, Trends & Program Design," sponsored by the Healthcare Intelligence
Network (HIN), expert speakers provide background on this growing epidemic. You'll
also get case studies on programs launched by healthcare payors and providers
to address childhood obesity.
You’ll hear from two leading industry experts, Dr. Eric Berman, Medical Director & Chairman of Health Policy, Horizon BCBS of NJ, and Dr. Barbara Moore, President and CEO, Shape Up America! on what's driving childhood obesity in America, its impact on healthcare costs and what factors to consider before launching a childhood weight management program.
This 37-page report is based on the September 23, 2004 audio conference How Healthcare Organizations Are Addressing Childhood Obesity during which Moore and Berman described the impact of childhood obesity and what healthcare organizations are doing about it.
You’ll get details on:
- Assessing overweight/obese children;
- Preventing obesity in children;
- The IOM Action Plan for confronting the epidemic;
- How to engage the child's support network -- family, school and community resources; along with
- Case studies on childhood weight management programs at Horizon BCBSNJ, St. Louis Children’s Hospital, Highmark and Kaiser Permanente.
Table of Contents
- Health in the Balance: Childhood Obesity in America
- Why More Children Are Obese
- The Impact of Age on Childrens’ BMI
- The Devastating Stigma of Obesity
- Obesity’s Impact on Healthcare Costs
- Cost of Obesity Gaining on Us
- Children Learn What They Live: The Parents’ Role
- The Skinny on Trimming BMI
- Considering Cultural Differences
- Nature vs. Nurture
- Healthcare Implications of Childhood Obesity
- How the Healthcare Sector Can Prevent Childhood Obesity
- Obesity Initiatives
- Children’s Hospital Hopes Healthy Living Is Habit-Forming
- The Effect of Walkable Communities on Health
- Highmark Attacks Problem from All Fronts
- Kaiser-Permanente Takes AIM at Weight Management
- Horizon’s Template for Healthy Living
- Students Walk Away from Negative Body Images
- Health Literacy and Childhood Obesity
- Teen Mentoring Program Boosts Confidence
- Other Health Literacy-based Initiatives
- IOM Action Plan for Confronting the Epidemic
- Q&A: Ask the Experts
- The PCP’s Role in Childhood Weight Management
- Launching a Childhood Obesity Program
- Legislating Change
- Defining Vigorous Activity
- Schools and the Battle Against Obesity
"Childhood Obesity: Truths, Trends & Program Design" is part of HIN's Disease Management Dimensions series. The Disease Management Dimensions provides an inside look at disease management programs to help you get the most of your disease management initiatives.