A provider-patient language barrier can undermine the quality and
accessibility of healthcare for that patient. But cultural
misunderstandings can have more subtle consequences.
This special report, "Cultural Competency in Healthcare: Translating Differences Into Improved Quality and Access,"
details educational and communication strategies for leveraging
cultural differences to improve the quality and accessibility of healthcare.
Representatives from two healthcare organizations detail how their
diversity programs are addressing the needs of culturally diverse
populations. Also included are first-hand experiences from some of the
respondents to HINís recent online survey of cultural diversity efforts in
the healthcare industry.
You'll hear from Elsa Batica, cross-cultural health development and training manager,
Children's Hospital and Clinic (Minneapolis) and Loretta Estes, coordinator, cultural and linguistics services,
Passport Health Plan on the development and implementation of the cultural diversity programs at their organizations.
This 33-page report is based on the May 18, 2005 audio conference "Cultural Diversity in Healthcare: Addressing Differences to
Overcome Barriers" during which Batica and Estes provided in-depth details on their respective programs.
You'll get details on:
- Building an organizational cultural competence environment;
- Creating orientation and ongoing training for staff members on cultural sensitivity; and
- Addressing the challenges of a multicultural society.
Table of Contents
- Building Organizational Cultural Competence
- Developing Relationships with Community Organizations
- Top Management Makes Diversity a Priority
- Identifying Culturally Competent Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes
- Culturally Responsive Employees from Day One
- Addressing Language Barriers
- Assessing Cultural Competency
- Cultural and Linguistic Competency in Healthcare
- Job Description: Cultural and Linguistic Services Coordinator
- Provider Education and Support
- Translating Educational Materials
- Passport Health Planís Associate Training
- Internet-based Staff Training
- Cultural and Linguistic Services for Members
- Technology and Cultural Competency Tools
- Addressing the Challenges of a Multicultural Society
- Striving for Diversity
- Looking Ahead
- Advice from the Field
- Q&A: Ask the Experts
- Merits of Monthly Celebrations
- Recommended Reading Levels for Translated Materials
- Population Participation in Program Development
- Interpreter Reimbursement and Information
- Coping with Conflict
- Training, Testing and Toolkits
- Becoming a Certified Cultural Diversity Trainer
- Educating Vendors
- Toolkit Training
- Combating Cultural Competence Cop-Outs
- Tools and Tests
- For More Information
Buy Both and Save 15%!