According to the CMSA, motivational interviewing is "a proven, patient-centered counseling method for addressing patient ambivalence and resistance to change. MI has been show to improve treatment adherence and outcomes, promote health behavior change, improve patient satisfaction with care, and increase retention rates in complex case management."
Case managers and other medical professionals are turning to MI to successfully manage their patients' disease by utilizing the techniques of MI, which include overturning patient resistance, fears and ambivalence as a way to improve their health and their disease management.
This report, Motivational Interviewing: An Emerging Trend in Medical Management, is a tool designed to guide you in acquiring the techniques of motivational interviewing so that you can create behavior change in your own patients and achieve better health outcomes.
Table Of Contents
- Defining Motivational Interviewing. Is MI a process, a behavior or a technique? Learn about its origins and its early history.
- MI Enters Medical Management. The prevalence of chronic disease and the emergent national focus on wellness make a strong case for MI, which has taken hold among case management and disease management departments, as well as health coaching paradigms.
- Case Study #1. Real-life application shows MIs strengths through enhanced case management.
- Emplacing MI into Care Coordination; Case Study #2: MI in Action.
- MI Toolbox. Defining principles and essential skills mark the terrain of MI.
- MI in Nursing. MI expert Michelle Hall, author of the leading MI book on nursing, shares her experience working with the approach.
- Case Study #3. Real-life application shows MIs strengths in disease management.
- Published Research. A rundown of the latest research on MI and its impact on patient care.
- Resources. A list of further reading and links.
4.0 CEUs have been applied for Nurses, Certified Case Managers, Disability Management Specialists, Psychologists, Social Workers, Licensed Mental Health Counselors/ Certified Counselors, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists & Substance Abuse Counselors.